French Polynesia - Infrastructure, power, and communications



French Polynesia's infrastructure is in good condition. It undergoes ongoing improvement as a result of French development programs, including tax incentives for businesses who invest in infrastructure. The islands have 792 kilometers (492 miles) of roads, all of them paved. There are 30 paved-runway airports, with 15 more unpaved airstrips, and an international airport at Faa'a outside Papeete. The 4 seaports are Mataura, Papeete,

Communications
Country Telephones a Telephones, Mobile/Cellular a Radio Stations b Radios a TV Stations a Televisions a Internet Service Providers c Internet Users c
French Polynesia 52,000 5,427 AM 2; FM 14; shortwave 2 128,000 7 40,000 2 5,000
United States 194 M 69.209 M (1998) AM 4,762; FM 5,542; shortwave 18 575 M 1,500 219 M 7,800 148 M
Philippines 1.9 M 1.959 M (1998) AM 366; FM 290; shortwave 3 (1999) 11.5 M 31 3.7 M 33 500,000
Solomon Islands 8,000 658 AM 3; FM 0; shortwave 0 57,000 0 3,000 1 3,000
a Data is for 1997 unless otherwise noted.
b Data is for 1998 unless otherwise noted.
c Data is for 2000 unless otherwise noted.
SOURCE: CIA World Factbook 2001 [Online].

Rikitea, and Uturoa. Most of the islands' fuel needs (60 percent in 1998) are supplied by imported fossil fuels. The remaining 40 percent is provided by hydroelectric power stations. A comprehensive and reliable telephone network also exists, with 32,000 main lines and 4,000 cellular lines in use in 1995.

Also read article about French Polynesia from Wikipedia

User Contributions:

Comment about this article, ask questions, or add new information about this topic:

CAPTCHA