Iceland - Agriculture

About 78% of Iceland is agriculturally unproductive, and only about 1% of the land area is actually used for cultivation. Of this amount, 99% is used to cultivate hay and other fodder crops, with the remaining 1% used for potato and fodder root production. There were about 4,000 full-time farmers in the 1990s, with about 75% living on their own land; some holdings have been in the same family for centuries. In the 19th century and earlier, agriculture was the chief occupation, but by 1930, fewer than 36% of the people devoted their energies to farming, and the proportion has continued to fall. Hay is the principal crop; other crops are potatoes, turnips, oats, and garden vegetables. In hot-spring areas, vegetables, flowers and even tropical fruits are cultivated for domestic consumption in greenhouses heated with hot water from the springs. Besides hay and other fodder crops, about 9,000 tons of potatoes were produced in 1999. There are agricultural institutions in Borgarfjörur, Hjaltadalur, Hvanneyri, and Reykir; between 15–20% of all farmers have finished an agricultural degree program.

User Contributions:

Report this comment as inappropriate
Feb 21, 2011 @ 11:11 am
I have heard that many farmers in Iceland are now forced to leave their farms due to the large amount of ash from last year's volcano eruption. Is this true? If so, what percent of farms are no longer working?
Is there an organization to support these farmers? We would like to find out how to help...

Thank you,
Storygirl from Texas, at (Please put "Iceland" in the subject line, so I will recognize your mail. )
lexi friddle
Report this comment as inappropriate
May 6, 2015 @ 3:15 pm
I love this web site it gives a lot of information for me at school
Report this comment as inappropriate
Apr 12, 2016 @ 5:17 pm
this has really helped me with my school stuff. thanks!!
Report this comment as inappropriate
Apr 16, 2016 @ 11:11 am
Why do icalndic farmers dig trenches between fields?
none of ur business
Report this comment as inappropriate
May 1, 2019 @ 9:21 pm
this did not help ur bad get out thx

btw this is not for my school

Comment about this article, ask questions, or add new information about this topic: