United Arab Emirates - Religions

Islam is the official religion of all seven emirates. As such, virtually all UAE nationals and many immigrants are Muslims. Most (85%) are Sunnis, and the remaining 15% are Shi'as. The government does not recognize all non-Muslim religions. In emirates that officially recognize and grant legal identity to non-Muslim groups, only a limited number of Christian groups are granted this recognition. While recognizing the difference between Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, and Protestant Christianity, the authorities make no legal distinction between Christian groups, particularly Protestants. Non-Muslims, constituting approximately 4% of the population, are principally Christians and Hindus, but also include Buddhists, Parsis, Baha'is, and Sikhs.

User Contributions:

Comment about this article, ask questions, or add new information about this topic: