EGYPT



Egypt 1266
Photo by: Windowseat

Arab Republic of Egypt

Jumhuriat Misr al-'Arabiyah

CAPITAL : Cairo (Al-Qahira)

FLAG : The flag is a tricolor of three horizontal stripes—red, white, and black—with the national emblem in the center white stripe.

ANTHEM : The Arab Republic of Egypt Hymn.

MONETARY UNIT : The Egyptian pound ( E £) is a paper currency of 100 piasters or 1,000 milliemes. There are coins of 1, 5, 10, and 20 piasters and notes of 25 and 50 piasters and 1, 5, 10, 20, 50, and 1000 pounds. E £1 = $0.1706 (or $1 = E £5.86) as of May 2003.

WEIGHTS AND MEASURES : The metric system is the official standard, but various local units also are used: 1 feddan, consisting of 333.3 kassabah, equals 0.42 hectare (1.038 acres).

HOLIDAYS : New Year's Day, 1 January; Evacuation Day, 18 June; Revolution Day, 23 July; Armed Forces Day, 6 October; Popular Resistance Day, 24 October; Victory Day, 23 December. Movable holidays include Sham an-Nassim (Breath of Spring), of ancient origin, as well as such Muslim religious holidays as 'Id al-Fitr, 'Id al-'Adha', and the 1st of Muharram (Muslim New Year).

TIME : 2 PM = noon GMT.


ETHNIC GROUPS

Ethnic groups of Eastern Hamitic stock make up about 99% of the population of Egypt; these include Egyptians, Bedouins, and Berbers. They are a product of the intermixture of ancient Egyptians with the invaders of many millennia from various parts of Asia and Africa. The remaining 1% of the population is made up of minorities, including mainly Nubians, Armenians, Greeks, and other Europeans, primarily Italian and French.

FORESTRY

There are no forests in Egypt. In 2000, Egypt imported $796.3 million in forest products. The construction and furniture-making industries rely on wood imports. Furniture production engages about 40,000 persons and is concentrated in the Damietta Governorate in the northern part of the Nile Delta. Softwood products come from Sweden, Finland, and Russia; hardwood products from Western Europe.

DEPENDENCIES

Egypt has no territories or colonies.

Read about the Culture of Egypt. More about Egypt's Culture.

Read about the Geography of Egypt.

BIBLIOGRAPHY

Aftandilian, Gregory L. Egypt's Bid for Arab Leadership: Implications for US Policy. New York: Council on Foreign Relations Press, 1993.

Asante, Molefi K. Culture and Customs of Egypt. Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 2002.

Baker, Raymond William. Sadat and After: Struggles for Egypt's Political Soul. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 1990.

Botman, Selma. Egypt from Independence to Revolution, 1919– 1952. Syracuse, N.Y.: Syracuse University Press, 1991.

Bunson, Margaret. Encyclopedia of Ancient Egypt. New York: Facts on File, 2002.

Goldschmidt, Arthur. Historical Dictionary of Egypt. Metuchen, N.J.: Scarecrow, 1994.

——. Historical Dictionary of Egypt. [computer file] Boulder, Colo.: net Library, Inc., 2000.

Handoussa, Beha, and Gillian Potter (eds.). Employment and Structural Adjustment: Egypt in the 1990s. Cairo, Egypt: American University in Cairo Press, 1991.

Hansen, Bent. Egypt and Turkey. New York: Oxford University Press, 1991.

Harik, Iliya F. Economic Policy Reform in Egypt. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 1997.

Metz, Helen Chapin. Egypt, a Country Study. 5th ed. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, 1991.

Oweiss, Ibrahim M. (ed.). The Political Economy of Contemporary Egypt. Washington, D.C.: Georgetown University, 1990.

Rossellini, Ippolito. The Monuments of Egypt and Nubia. Cairo: American University in Cairo Press, 2003.

Rubin, Barry M. Islamic Fundamentalism in Egyptian Politics. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1990.

Shaw, Ian (ed.). The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000.

Supples, Kevin. Egypt. Washington, D.C.: National Geographic Society, 2002.

Weiss, Dieter. The Economics and Politics of Transition to an Open Market Economy: Egypt. Paris: Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development, 1998.

Zuehlke, Jeffrey. Egypt in Pictures. Minneapolis: Lerner, 2003.

User Contributions:

Mostafa El Kotoury
Report this comment as inappropriate
Apr 25, 2009 @ 9:09 am
There are no 1 piaster coins, instead we have now 50 and 100 piasters coints.

There are no 1000 Egyptian Pounds note probably you meant 100 and 200 are the maximum!

Comment about this article, ask questions, or add new information about this topic:

CAPTCHA


Egypt forum